PTI team ‘fails’ to turn up for talks

ISLAMABAD / LAHORE: Despite Supreme Court’s directives, PTI negotiaters did not manage to hold talks with a government team, scheduled to be held at 10pm on Wednesday night at the Islamabad chief commissioner’s office to ensure the party’s protest remained peaceful.

Speaking at a hurriedly-called news conference, federal ministers Azam Nazeer Tarar and Ayaz Sadiq claimed the PTI had disobeyed the SC order. They also expressed reservations over the SC making it binding upon the government to allow the PTI to enter the federal capital, and then not taking any action against the party for ‘disobeying’ the court’s orders.

“The court which ordered (us) to clear the roads (for the PTI long march) that resulted in fire everywhere in the city, is closed at the moment,” said Law Minister Tarar. Mr Sadiq said it was the need of the hour that the Supreme Court take action over this contempt. JUI-F leader Asad Mehmood and BAP chief Khalid Magsi also urged the PTI to come to the negotiating table.

However, PTI leader Babar Awan on his part claimed he had reached the chief commissioner’s office at exactly 10pm but found no one from the other side there. He said he had then left the venue, as he could not wait for the other team.

Sources in the capital administration told Dawn the PTI leadership was displeased over the arrests of its leaders, including two who were supposed to be part of the negotiating team.

Form committees

Earlier in the day, the Supreme Court had ordered the federal government and the PTI to constitute respective negotiating committees and meet at 10pm on Wednesday to finalise modalities for a peaceful and safe conduct of the party’s long march. The committees were to meet at the Islamabad chief commissioner’s office. The order came on a petition moved by Islamabad High Court Bar Association president Muhammad Shoaib Shaheen which was heard by a three-judge bench consisting of Justice Ijazul Ahsan, Justice Munib Akhtar and Justice Sayyed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi.

The authorities were also told to release the PTI workers and supporters arrested in the last 48 hours but not involved or accused in any heinous crime. The court also restrained the authorities from midnight raids at residences, offices and private properties for rounding up PTI workers till further orders.

The court will take up the matter again on Thursday.

The PTI negotiating committee consisted of Babar Awan, Aamir Kiani, Faisal Fareed Chaudhry and Ali Awan. Similarly, the government side was represented by former premier Yousuf Raza Gilani, Ayaz Sadiq, Faisal Sabzwari, Asad Mahmood, Azam Nazir Tarar, Agha Jan and Khalid Magsi.

However, the court did not issue any directions for removing roadblocks and barricades despite a request from the PTI counsel.

The court also ordered Babar Awan and Faisal Fareed to get an assurance from the party leadership that their workers will remain peaceful. Mr Awan requested for holding their rally in the ground between sectors H-9 and G-9, which the court ordered the chief commissioner to facilitate.

‘Armed protesters’

Moreover, on the orders of the apex court, the Islamabad High Court asked the district administration to review the cases of detained PTI workers, and ordered to release those not involved in any crime. IHC Chief Justice Athar Minallah resumed hearing on a petition filed against the harassment of PTI workers and leaders.

The Islamabad deputy commissioner apprised the CJ that the National Counter Terrorism Authority had issued an advisory against an untoward incident, adding there were reports of the protesters being armed.

Read more: Punjab govt says weapons recovered from vehicles of PTI’s Lahore workers; party rubbishes claims

To a court query, he said about 70 workers had been arrested under the MPO on reports that they planned to damage government property and vehicles. Further hearing in the matter was adjourned till Thursday (today).

Deal, no deal
Meanwhile, PML-N leader Maryam Nawaz in a press conference in Lahore claimed some PTI leaders met MNA Ayaz Sadiq and presented some demands, which were turned down. She also claimed that “discouraged by a dull march”, the PTI leaders didn’t want to stage a sit-in, which was confirmed by Mr Sadiq in a private TV show.

However, the PTI chief denied Ms Nawaz’s claims, tweeting: “Rumours & deliberate disinformation that a deal has been done. Absolutely not! We are moving towards Islamabad & no question of any deal. We will remain in Islamabad till announcement of dates for dissolution of assemblies & elections are given. Calling all people of Islamabad & Pindi to join.”

also read..

Karachi traders hold off on keeping shops open till 8pm

News Editor

Chairman NAB cites lack of accountability courts for delay in disposal of cases

News Editor

Indus Motor Company Chairman Ali Habib passes away

News Editor

UN awards medal to martyred Pakistani soldier for peacekeeping service in Congo: ISPR

News Editor

PM Imran calls on President Alvi to discuss coronavirus situation across Pakistan

News Editor

A day after testing positive, Governor Sindh demands ease in coronavirus restrictions

News Editor